Training Essentials and Programme Design for Endurance Running
Learn how to design training programmes for endurance runners as well as key concepts behind endurance training such as exercise physiology, periodisation, VO2 max, and taper.
Key target groups
- Recreational runners who are looking for scientifically designed training programmes to optimise performance and decrease the risk of injury.
- Running coaches who want to understand exercise physiology & training principles and methods behind programme design.
- Fitness professionals who want to train endurance runners.
- Students who want to learn about exercise physiology & the training principles and methods behind endurance running.
- Advanced and elite athletes who want to understand the science behind their training.
|12 Training principles||Animated PowerPoint MP4 Video||12 min|
|Training principles and methods||Moodle book||-|
|Module 1 - Assesment||Moodle Quiz||-|
|Exercise physiology||Animated PowerPoint MP4 Video||7 min|
|The biomechanics of running and common injuries.||Moodle book||-|
|Module 2 - Assesment||Moodle Quiz||-|
|Factors related to endurance performance||Animated PowerPoint MP4 Video||6 min|
|Lactate threshold||Moodle book||-|
|Running economy||Moodle book||-|
|Sample V02max report||Excel document||-|
|V02max test||MP4 Video||5 min|
|V02max report||MP4 Video||14 min|
|Preparticipation screen active individuals||PDF document||-|
|Module 3 - Assesment||Moodle Quiz||-|
|Special issues related to endurance performance preview||Animated PowerPoint MP4 Video||9 min|
|Resistance training||PDF document||-|
|Resistance training||MP4 Video||7 min|
|Module 4 - Assesment||Moodle Quiz||-|
|Designing training programmes||Animated PowerPoint MP4 Video||8 min|
|Intensity prescription||Moodle book||-|
|Training Modes||Moodle book||-|
|Training Modes||MP4 Video||4 min|
|Evaluation of the athlete||Word document||-|
|Module 5 - Assesment||Moodle Quiz||-|
|10km Beginner training plan (60min) (8 weeks)||PDF document||-|
|10km Intermediate training plan (50min)||PDF document||-|
|10km Advanced training plan (40min)||PDF document||-|
|21km Beginner training plan (120min)||PDF document||-|
|21km Intermediate training plan (120min)||PDF document||-|
|21km Advanced training plan (90min)||PDF document||-|
|42km Beginner training plan (270min)||PDF document||-|
|42km Intermediate training plan (225min)||PDF document||-|
|42km advanced training plan (180min)||PDF document||-|
|21km training plan preview||MP4 Video||14 min|
|Interview with Dr. Andrew Bosch (part 1)||MP4 Video||6 min|
|Interview with Dr. Andrew Bosch (part 2)||MP4 Video||6 min|
|Interview with Dr. Andrew Bosch (part 3)||MP4 Video||6 min|
|Interview with Dr. Andrew Bosch (part 4)||MP4 Video||6 min|
- Have access to nine endurance running training programmes designed by sport scientists.
- Learn the scientific principles behind writing training programmes & learn how to build your own.
- See the best resistance training exercises for endurance runners via video demonstrations and word documents as well as recommended set and repetitions.
- Understand the concepts of lactate threshold, running economy, and VO2 max and see the protocol for how to test these key variables.
- Access to sample surveys coaches can use to evaluate athletes as well as medical screening forms based on the American College of Sports Medicine guidelines.
- Access to how sport scientists categorise endurance athletes into beginner, intermediate, or advanced.
- Learn about altitude training and how to use it to maximise your performance.
- Learn the science behind taper and how to create the one that will maximise your performance the most.
- Learn about exercise physiology as it relates to endurance exercise training.
Next, we dive into the exciting and much talked about issues of lactate threshold, running economy, VO2 max, taper, altitude training, and how to evaluate an athlete. We provide video demonstrations for: how to conduct a VO2 max test on a treadmill; nine resistance training exercises to benefit endurance runners as well as sample sets and repetitions to perform; specific quality run workouts; and an interview with renowned coach and sport scientist, Professor Andrew Bosch. We provide nine sample run training programmes at the beginners, intermediate, and advanced levels for the 10-km, 21-km, and marathon distances. The course is broken down into six organised modules that you can work through at your own pace. Join the professionals at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa for an educational, fun, and practical course from the comfort of your own home!
|Rebecca is an endurance consultant at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa. She holds a Master's degree in exercise physiology from the University of Wisconsin, and is currently a PhD student in exercise science at the University of Cape Town. She specialises in programme design for runners, swimmers, and triathletes and monitoring training load in athletes.
Rebecca was a national level swimmer in the USA, and was world ranked in the 1500m freestyle. She began coaching in 2008 after retiring from swimming, and began competing in triathlon and running. She has a passion for teaching and getting people involved in sport as it provides people with a community, healthy lifestyle, and realistic goals that provide life-long benefits.